Cumulus X gives you the best DAM user eXperience ever. Cumulus X not only includes a greatly improved Web Client, but also introduces two brand new applications that are built on our own enhanced API – and we can proudly say – it’s the best software release we’ve ever had!
In this blogpost, we give you an overview of all the new features and functionalities we have included since our release of Cumulus 9.2 last December.
- Mobile Readiness with Cumulus Portals and the new Cumulus Mobile App
- API & Technology Enhancements
- Web Client, Native Client and Server Enhancements
1. Mobile Readiness
With Cumulus X Canto introduces two new Cumulus components that support mobile devices: Cumulus Portals and Cumulus Mobile App.
Cumulus Mobile App
The new Cumulus iOS Mobile App offers smart, collaborative access to your digital content from your iPhone and iPad. The App gives you read & write access. You can comment on your assets, set markups, search, download, crop and share. And what’s best – the interface can be branded based on your individual standards – to make sure your assets look good – wherever they are.
Portals is Canto’s new web solution that provides read only access to Cumulus. It can be used on desktop computers and laptops as well as on all smartphones and tablets thanks to it’s responsive web design. With this strategy we ensure that those who consume your assets will always have the best user experience – across all possible screen sizes and on any device.
Cumulus Portals is ideal to publish and market your digital assets online. Users with a standard Web browser can comfortably search for cataloged assets, drop them into a collection basket and download them – converted to different formats as needed. Appropriate access rights are always managed by privacy settings and permission controls. Configuring and customizing Cumulus Portals is easy and does not require deep programming knowledge.
Cumulus Portals has endless possibilities. Consider sharing your images and datasheets with journalists through a press portal. Think of customer portals, retailer portals, partner portals and self-service sales portals. You are free to create several branded portals from your Cumulus installation – perfect for agencies and multi-brand conglomerates.
Let’s take a look at the main features available in the new Cumulus Portals
- Fast and Secure Self-Serve File Access– Cumulus Portals offers fast file access and secure file distribution to anyone on the Web. Web users have access to public catalogs (or private catalogs with login) where they can search, preview, and download files as they choose. For public catalogs, login-free access offers quick browsing and basic downloads. Cumulus account holders can optionally login to see and download more than you provide to guests.
- Searching and Filtering– Users can quickly find what they are looking for by employing a quick search field or filter. Categories and preconfigured filters can be activated to narrow down the number of files.
- Metadata Information – The metadata of a file can be viewed in a short or detailed format. Clicking the thumbnail of a file displays the short version. To get more details an icon or menu entry is provided.
- Visual Previews– Large visual previews are provided for each file – even multipage previews are available.
- Collections– Cumulus server-side stored catalog collections are available to publish asset selections without any hassles for you or your website visitors. Cumulus account holders can create their own collection with Portals.
- Landing Pages– Specific landing pages for “upload collections” or “download collections” that only provide the option to upload or download files. Links to such collections are sent by Cumulus users to external recipients via email, using the Web or Desktop Client. Cumulus users can set the landing pages to require a password or set an expiration date for added security.
- Collection Basket– Simply add files to your temporary collection basket to make ‘shopping’ for images, PDFs, videos and other digital assets a snap. The collection basket is cleared once a session ends.
- Downloading– Download individual files or collect multiple files into the collection basket for group downloading. Prior to download, files can be converted as required. The conversion options are determined based on Cumulus actions that have been set up – which can be configured by your Admin or enlist Canto Professional Services to get your settings just right.
- Integrated Configuration– Cumulus Portals is easily configured via the CIP configuration module of the Cumulus Web Server Console.
- Brandable Publishing Portals– Cumulus Portals offers each customer the possibility to create various brandable portals. You can easily and quickly adapt Portals to various corporate identities via CSS and overwriting style elements with HTML. On the Cumulus Portals welcome page, different products and topics can be visualized and the user may choose from multiple catalogs to begin their experience.
- SEO Support–For faster searching and better finding of digital assets, Cumulus Portals provides automated SEO support.
- Built-in Security– Cumulus Portals is protected against cross-site scripting and request forgery attacks and user input is escaped.
Now let’s take a look at the technology supporting this release – because to build Cumulus Portals and the new Mobile App, we enhanced our API.
2. API and Technology
The Canto Integration Platform (CIP) is our API that enables the development of integrations between Cumulus and other systems – and with Cumulus X has been significantly expanded. For the most important settings a CIP configuration module is now provided with the Web Server Console. This module includes the configuration of Cumulus Portals and the Cumulus Mobile App.
To make your work with our API easier, we have also improved our documentation. You can find more detailed descriptions in the enhanced technical CIP documentation which is now included with the CIP Client SDK.
The main enhancements are:
- Collections– CIP now supports Cumulus server-side collections. Private, shared, upload and download collections are supported and upload or download collections can be opened without a user login, if necessary.
- Catalogs– With Cumulus X CIP provides support for multiple catalogs.
- Filtering– Filters can be easily added and removed. Various filter types have been added: dynamic field-based filters, query-based filters, filters allowing field value range input, collection-based filters. And pre-configured filter sets can be employed.
- Downloading– CIP can now retrieve a direct download URL (e.g. for assets being stored in Amazon S3 or Microsoft Azure). Asynchronous download processing is supported as well as downloading of multiple assets.
- Security– The security was massively enhanced. System information is hidden and the use of configured values can be enforced.
- Previews/Thumbnails– Multipage previews are supported and you can retrieve the preview for a specific page. Video playback support was improved. Category thumbnails are dynamically generated.
- User Management– Retrieving information about the current user is now possible. Searching for users by matching a partial name and a session can allow you to switch to another user.
3. Web Client, Native Client and Server Enhancements
Since our last major release of Cumulus 9.2 in December 2014 we have released 3 minor versions, which have added new features to the Web Client as well as to the Admin Client. If you didn’t have a chance to check out the details yet – you can find them here.
- 9.2.1 – Crop images more easily with Cumulus
- 9.2.2 – Cumulus Web Client more powerful and easier to use than ever
- 9.2.3 – Look deeper into your images and more
With Cumulus X, of course we have further enhanced the Cumulus Web Client and our Admin Client as well as the Cumulus Server: the Workflow UI was enhanced and the Web Client got more customization options. More formats are supported, for detailed lists see complete list (Enhanced Metada Support PDF file).
Stay tuned for even more Cumulus X awesomeness!